Thursday, June 24, 2010

Money and Food Question (sorry....)

Okay....so I have read that "most meals while in the country" will be covered by the program. I'm curious when it states "dinner on your own" what will the average dinner cost be for us?

Just wanting to make sure I plan accordingly...to be prepared. I know you've also recommended bringing $300-$500 "spending money". Does that amount include what we'll spend on meals and tipping that was discussed? Then we plan on bringing other funds for whatever gifts/artifacts we would want to purchase to bring back with us?

Sorry to be so picky....just trying to clarify...better safe than sorry.....

Thanks for all you do!

cheers,
linda in lansing

5 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, I had the same question. The answer can be found on the USIEF website. If you log on to the website, click on the second bullet, "Visit India Handbook", p. 16, it says they give us a meal allowance in order to provide us with the opportunity to go explore dining experiences. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I THOUGHT I read that somewhere, but then when I went back to try and find it, I couldn't readily put my eyes on it. Bless you for the assist....it takes a village!! cheers, linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The amount of money you spend on a meal can vary widely. In some restaurants in expensive hotels or large cities, you can easily spend as much or more than what you would spend in a similar place in the US. On the other hand, you can generally find quite good restaurants with dishes between 70-150 rupees, or about $2-4. You can also find delicious food at roadside carts and hole-in-the-wall places for under 20 rupees. You have to be adventurous to go to these kind of places, but the advantage is that the kitchen is often no more than a few burners on a counter, which means you can watch them prepare your food and you know that it is thoroughly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, I think Blogger just ate my comment. Let me try again: Once you decide how much money to bring, you might also consider bringing small bills (ones and fives). A surprising amount of vendors (especially in Delhi) will gladly accept US$$. Also, the one-dollar bills come in real handy when you need to tip somebody.

    ReplyDelete